HEMINGFORD SNOW REMOVAL PLAN
With winter upon us, it is time to once again review the snow removal plan. Snow removal will take place anytime a storm produces 6 inches or more of snow. In the event of a storm that produces less than six inches of snow, removal will happen under the discretion of the utility crew. When snow removal is required, the Emergency Snow Routes will be cleared first then the remaining side streets and alleys will be tended to. Alleys that are used as primary access to residences will have priority over other alleys. There is no set order to which non-emergency streets will be tended to; the utility will use their discretion on a storm-to-storm basis on this matter. The time at which the utility crew will start snow removal will vary depending on the type of snowfall, the amount of snowfall, and weather conditions. A reminder in accordance with Chapter 8, Article 5, Section 01 of the Municipal Code there is to be no parking of vehicles on Emergency Snow Routes between the hours of 2:00 A.M. and 6:00
- . on the day of initial snow fall and the day following the end of snow fall. To help aid in snow removal residents are encouraged to park vehicles and trailers that are on side streets in their driveways on days that snow removal will take place. Side streets with an abundance of vehicles parked on the street will only have a pathway cleared for through traffic. Village employees will not weave around parked vehicles to clear snow. A snow emergency can be declared by the utility crew, if declared all vehicles on all streets should be removed to allow snow
The following is a general outline of how the Village will conduct snow removal:
Emergency Snow Routes:
- The Emergency Snow Routes are Niobrara, Box Butte, and Donald Ave.
- Snow removal and sanding on these streets will take precedence over removal on all other streets and alleys
Ice or less than 6 inches of snow:
- The main street intersections of Niobrara and Box Butte Ave. will be sanded, as well as the intersections surrounding the school area.
- Donald Ave. will be sanded, as it is an emergency snow route.
- The removal of snow will take place if utility crew deems it necessary; starting with the emergency snow routes first, then the remaining side streets and alleys
6 inches or more of snow:
- Snow removal will begin with the Emergency Snow Routes of Box Butte, Niobrara, and Donald Ave.
- The main street intersections of Niobrara and Box Butte Ave. will be sanded, as well as the intersections surrounding the school
- Donald Ave. will be sanded as it is an emergency snow
- Once snow is removed from the Emergency Snow Routes removal will begin on the remaining side streets and alleys
- Alleys that are used as main access to residences will have priority over other alleys
- In cases of continuous snowfall of 6 inches or more an effort will be made to keep all of the Emergency Snow routes open
- Side streets and alleys will be tended to after snow fall stops or at the discretion of the utility crew
Listed below is a list of resources to educate and assist residents to take important safety precautions with weather preparedness.
Click on the links below to learn how to be prepared: